What variations in throwing are used in this set?
Basically, grip (forehand vs backhand vs hammer), angle of throw (inside-out vs flat vs outside-in) and distance (short vs long).
But there are other aspects we can vary:
- speed of throw (fast vs slow)
- height of throw (low vs normal vs high)
- width of pivot (normal vs wide)
- angle of pivot (step forward vs step sideways vs step back)
- width of pivot (step out a little vs step out a lot)
- catching aggression (let disc come to you vs sprint to catch it at earliest moment)
- after the throw (stand and watch vs cut left vs cut right)
Break Throw 100
This set will work on your break throws.
- 10 backhands, 10 forehands: flat, normal height release, step sideways as far as feasible, slow disc speed(should arrive gently in receiver's hands)
- 10 backhands, 10 forehands: flat, low release, step back 45 degrees with a medium pivot, slow disc speed
- 10 backhands, 10 forehands: inside-out (disc must arrive at receiver inside-out), low release, step sideways with a medium pivot, slow disc speed
- 5 forehand blades: pivot from backhand stance, throw very vertical blade
- 5 scoobers: pivot from forehand stance, throw scoober
- 10 hammers: fake forehand, throw hammer
- 10 long backhands: pivot from forehand stance sideways, wide into the backhand huck
- 10 long forehands: pivot from backhand stance sideways, wide into the forehand huck
Throw and Go 30
And here is a set that will warm you up before a game, and teach you to give-and-go. It also doesn't take long. After the first throw, jog to your left for five metres.
After the second throw, jog to your right for five metres. You'll end up roughly where you started after every two throws. The aim is to start running in the throwing motion. Leave more time between each catch and throw, if you want to improve focus and completion rate. If you do it at maximum speed it is basically the kill drill.
This set will cover all combinations of throw forehand/backhand and run left/right.
- 5 low flat backhands (slow jog)
- 5 low flat forehands (slow jog)
- 5 outside-in backhands (fast acceleration)
- 5 outside-in forehands (fast acceleration)
- 5 inside-out backhands (fast acceleration)
- 5 inside-out forehands (fast acceleration)